Ray Castellino DC, RPP, RPE, RCST® will be facilitating a Foundation Training in Flat Rock, NC, possibly featuring Mary Jackson RN, LM, RCST® as co-facilitator for several or all modules. Her participation will depend on the number of participants. In addition, there will be a team of 7 assistants to support the training process. Applications are being welcomed, encouraged. See below for information about the process.
DATES for the 8 modules of the Foundation Training:
- Oct 5-10, 2013
- January 25-30, 2014
- April 26-May 1, 2014
- November 8-13, 2014
- February 14-19, 2015
- May 2-7, 2015
- November 7-12, 2015
- January 30-February 4, 2016
Prior to applying to the Foundation Training, applicants are required to take at least one Process Workshop. They are also required to sign up for a 5-day introduction to biodynamic craniosacral work or notify us of one they will be attending. This may be taken after applying.
Who Benefits from the Training?
Trainees in the Castellino Prenatal and Birth Training come from a wide range of professional backgrounds and skills. They have included bodyworkers, polarity therapists, cranial workers, chiropractors, osteopaths, acupuncturists, nurses, medical doctors, midwives, doulas, childbirth educators, infant massage therapists, regular and special education teachers, counselors, and psychologists. Many of these practitioners were already doing some form of prenatal and birth work. Others were very new to this form of work. They all share a profound interest in working with babies, children, families, and/or adults for the purpose of resolving prenatal and birth trauma.
Designed to teach or enhance your skills in:
- Holding therapeutic presence;
- Tracking somatic, energetic and fluid tide rhythms to assess and facilitate the resolution of prenatal and birth stress and trauma;
- Identification of your own prenatal and birth countertransference issues so you can develop the skill of effectively translating the energy of your activations into effective and compassionate therapy;
- Relating the client's present experience, behavior and emotional states to prenatal and birth imprinting in function and structure;
- Recognizing prenatal and birth imprinting in body language, body structure, movement, personality and character structure in babies, children and adults;
- Developing the client's internal resources so they may effectively explore and resolve early traumatic imprinting;
- Recognizing the way prenatal and birth imprinting affects family dynamics, and knowing how to work with infants and children within their family systems;
- Holding clear and effective therapeutic boundaries in the context of prenatal and birth therapy;
- Using therapeutic verbal, energetic and touch skills in the context of prenatal and birth therapy;
- Making contact with others from your own experience, and identifying and working with your own prenatal and birth patterns;
- Facilitating babies, children and their parents in BEBA style family sessions;
- Facilitating adults in small group Womb Surround Process Workshops;
Click here to view a Skills Assessment trainees fill in near the beginning and the end of the training for the purpose of reflecting on their own development.
Trainees begin with a myriad of different skills. Exercises, homework and small and large group discussions are designed to enhance those skills. Some of the craniosacral skills are listed for the benefit of those who have already taken a full c/s training.
Each training module covers a specific area of learning. The curriculum is designed to give you an overview of the work and to build specific therapeutic skills in a progressive and layered manner using didactic instruction, facilitation skills and personal experiential exploration. Skills for facilitation of adults in small groups and families in infant/child- centered settings are emphasized throughout the training.
Module I - The Preconception and Conception Journey
Including the Polarity Paradigm, shock imprinting and developing the internal reference structure for prenatal and birth therapy are this module's primary subject areas. Dr. Castellino will introduce you to an integration of energetic, somatic, physiologic and psychotherapeutic principles which form a foundation for the prenatal and birth therapist. The skills introduced in this module include therapeutic centering, orienting, tracking autonomic cycling and related fluid tide dynamics, modulating therapeutic pace or tempo, identifying resource behaviors, recognizing the therapeutic leading edge, and differentiating between trauma and shock imprinting.
Module II - Bonding and Attachment
Covers the bonding process from early prenatal through post-birth time. The issues of connection and separation are primary themes as are issues of receiving nutrition and emotional nurturing. This module covers:
- How early imprinting affects future relationship formation, and individual motivation patterns.
- Prenatal implantation dynamics, the development of the placenta and the umbilical cord.
- Energetic umbilical dynamics, and related movement imprinting.
- Birth dynamics, the cutting of the umbilical cord, newborn self-attachment behaviors and the nature of the baby's first contact with her mother and father after birth.
- The baby's ability to attach to his/her mother emotionally, at the breast and the establishment of healthy nursing patterns.
- Specific therapeutic protocols for resourcing, resolving and repatterning bonding and attachment trauma and a means for establishing nursing with babies who are unable to nurse or having difficulty with nursing.
Module III - Birth Imprinting
Covers the vaginal birth process, birth stages, pelvic types, cranial molding, birth movement patterns and an introduction to infant craniopathy. It introduces tracking fluid tide dynamics and tracking stage specific birth movement patterns. By the end of the workshop, each of you will describe your personal birth passage to a small peer group. Your birth passage session will be videotaped and you will receive a copy for your personal studies.
Module IV - Chemical Imprinting
Covers imprinting from anesthesia, nicotine, fetal alcohol and drug syndromes. We will look at the effects of chemical imprinting on prenates and babies' psyches, their movement patterns, their energy patterns and the development of the central nervous system. Specific protocols for resolving and repatterning of chemical imprinting are covered. A new theory is presented explaining the way chemical imprinting affects the function of the cerebral spinal fluid system. Your understanding of the cranial / sacral fluid tide system and the embryonic development of the brain will be enhanced so that you can use your visualization, energetic sensing, fluid tide palpation, and bodywork skills to support the resolution of traumatic chemical imprinting.
Module V - Surgical Imprinting
Covers forceps, vacuum extraction, cesarean section, circumcision and prenatal and infant surgery. You will learn how to identify signature cranial molding patterns, movement patterns and psychological impacts of each birthing style. You will learn the cranial impacts of forceps and vacuum extraction as well as specific treatment protocols for each type of surgical intervention. We will explore the effect of these procedures on physical structure and on the expression of the body's energy and fluid tide systems.
Module VI and VII - Life Death Loss and Double Binds
Double bind or paradoxical imprints provide the most complicated dynamics in the PPN field. Double binds amplify practitioner counter-transference issues and complications for facilitating groups and families. This subject matter is saved for the sixth and seventh Foundation Training modules because the dynamics of these trauma impacts provide the practitioner with the greatest counter-transference challenges in the prenatal and birth therapy field. The curricula of the first five modules is designed to build the trainees' understanding, perception, presence and therapeutic skills so that they are more prepared to explore the effects of double binds in effective and compassionate ways.
Having two modules devoted to developing skills for facilitating double binds give plenty of space to explore the depth of these early complicated imprints. Special attention is given to how double bind imprints affects families and group dynamics.
Focuses on ancestral influences and twin dynamics and twin loss. Ancestral influences on individuation are explored to differentiate twin and ancestral imprinting. Twin embryonic and placental development are correlated with twin behavior later in life. Lost twin syndrome affects on singleton behavior is covered. You will learn to identify twin psychological imprinting, the counter-transference / transference issues involved and twin dynamic therapeutic protocols. Breech birth presentation is covered in this module because a high percentage of breech presentations have occur during twin births.
Focuses on adoption, previous abortion and miscarriage, abortion attempts, traumatic impacts of death in the family during pregnancy, stillbirth and infant sibling loss, A.R.T. (Assisted Reproductive Technology) and NICU experience. The skills for facilitating double bind dynamics are further developed and refined in this module.
Module VIII - Family and Group Dynamics
This module is designed to transition the practitioner from foundation skill building into a model for family and small group practice. Module VIII covers:
- The structural components for a process session both with adults in a Process Workshop setting and with families in infant/child-centered family settings.
- Organization of BEBA: A Center for Family Healing.
- Questions about clinical practice.
- Demonstration session by Dr. Castellino including a complete debriefing which focuses on recognizing the principles utilized.
- Each trainee will give and receive a supervised process session in a small group setting.
Prerequisite to Applying:
- Take at least one Womb Surround Process Workshop with Ray or a certified womb surround (process) workshop facilitator. It is recommended that this be within the last 3 years.
- Take or at least sign up for at least a five-day introduction to biodynamic / fluid tide craniosacral therapy or the equivalent that takes place before the training. *
- We will not accept applications from anyone who uses nicotine or recreational drugs in any amount for any reason or who is addicted to alcohol or any medical or recreational drug. Applicants must have a commitment to themselves and the people they work with that they will be nicotine and drug free from the time of application through completion of the Foundation Training and must have the intention to abstain for the rest of their lives.
- A commitment to abstain from alcohol the day before and during all workshops and training modules including breaks & evenings is required.
*Ray Casetellino and Anna Chitty's 5-module advanced bodywork training, Body into Being, in Boulder will meet the requirement. Anna Chitty will be offering a 5-day intro to c/s work in Flat Rock NC, Sept 4-8 that Sandra Castellino is organizing. John Chitty offers a 5-day intro in early August in Boulder. Other teachers are listed on our website. If you are not sure your craniosacral training meets our requirement, contact Sandra. it must by Biodynamic.
- This is a digital application – sent to Ray, Sandra and Mary (emails are on the application)
- A picture (headshot) of you (alone) emailed with your written application (one that you would be ok to have posted on a password protected part of our website for training participants should you become part of the training)
- The written application is in Word and PDF form below
- Payment of the application fee.
- Interview with Ray and hopefully Mary by Skype if possible or by phone starting in April, 2013
Shortly after the interview, you will be notified if you have been accepted. Securing a place in the training includes
payment of deposit and
returning a signed student contract
Payment of Application Fee
- Application cost is $104 by cc/paypal /$100 by check or cash. Application cost is in addition to / separate from the cost of the training. It is the cost for applying.
- By check: ($100) Send a $100 check made out to Raymond Castellino, & mailed to Sandra Castellino, 1105 N Ontare Road, Santa Barbara, CA 93105.
- By paypal, ($104) our ID is: email@example.com. Send as a purchase, we pay the fees.
- By credit card ($104). Sandra is reachable by phone for credit card info & the phone is safe for leaving financial information on the answering service. Sandra is the only person who checks messages. You can also send credit card info by email in 2 parts such as xxxx-2222-xxxx-1111, exp 12/xx, code 12x. If your billing address for the card is different from your address on the application, please give Sandra the billing address of the card.
Interview by SkypeAfter the application, fee and picture have been received, you will have a Skype or phone interview with Ray and maybe Mary. Call Sandra to schedule that once your application is complete. 805 687-2897.
Applications are available for download in PDF and MS Word formats. Applicants are required to be able to download WORD or PDF files for the application and throughout the training. We do not mail hard copies. You may need to download Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print these documents.
Student Contract - this is the contract for T10 and will be updated soon
For those who have received notification of acceptance into the training, please download the Student Contract. Initial and sign it, then return it to us by three weeks after your letter of acceptance is received via email (or postmarked 4 days earlier from within the US, or one week earlier from outside the US).
Commitment to all days of all modules:
The training is designed so that each module has a distinct beginning, middle and ending. Each part of the training is designed to develop important practitioner skills with relationship to tracking early imprint sequences. The beginning of each module sets the tone. The ending period is designed as an integration time. Ray therefore asks that participants commit to being present for all classes. This means arranging transportation to arrive by Friday evening or by 8:30 am Saturday morning and leaving after 3:00 pm on Thursday. We ask those flying that you commit to taking a flight the next day if leaving after 3:00 p.m. will not allow enough time to catch a flight on Thursday.
In the event that a participant misses any part of a module for emergencies such as emergency health issues, the make-up process includes viewing DVDs of the lecture/discussion portions of the training (for which there is a charge of $25+tax, shipping for each 1.5 hr or less) and exercises to complete with trainees or assistants prior to returning to the next module. Payment for the module is still due on the dates listed. Missing more than one day of a module may result in also needing to retake the module in a future training in order to graduate.
Components and graduation requirements:
Training Modules: We ask for a clear commitment to attending all six days of all eight modules. Dates in parentheses are arrival dates for those traveling from a distance, training dates are Saturday through Thursday. Those coming from outside the Americas are suggested to arrive a day earlier to allow for jetlag.
- 2013: (arrive Friday night, October 4) training Saturday-Thursday October 5-10
- 2014: (arrive Friday night, January 24) training Saturday-Thursday January 25-30
- 2014: (arrive Friday night, April 25) training Saturday-Thursday April 26-May 1
- 2014: (arrive Friday night, Nov 7) training Saturday-Thursday November 8-13
- 2015: (arrive Friday night, Feb 13) training Saturday-Thursday February 14-19
- 2015: (arrive Friday night, May 1) training Saturday-Thursday May 2-7
- 2015: (arrive Friday night, Nov 6) training Saturday-Thursday November 7-12
- 2016: (arrive Friday night, Jan 29) training Saturday-Thursday January 30-February 4
- 2013: (arrive Friday night, October 4) training Saturday-Thursday October 5-10
Womb Surround Process Workshops:
All trainees must attend a total of four Womb Surround Process Workshops with Ray or a certified Womb Surround Process Workshop Facilitator:
- At least 1 is required before application to the Foundation Training, preferably during the past 3 years; more are recommended.
- Two of these Womb Surround Process Workshops must be with Ray. All 4 may be if you chose to.
- Womb Surround Process Workshops taken before the Foundation Training count.
- At least one Womb Surround Process Workshop must be taken after attending Module One.
- Up to 2 may be taken with a Certified Womb Surround Process Workshop Facilitator.
- Creative Home Projects between the training modules.
- Communicating with other trainees between modules for peer support.
Time of day for all 8 modules
- Friday: Rooms on site are available by 4 p.m. Registration until 8 pm for those staying there and, if you want, for those staying elsewhere. Dinner may be available by request for people staying anywhere.
- Saturday: 8:30 for those who haven't registered; 9:00 am for those who have registered the night before.
- Sunday-Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. with a 1.5-hour lunch break.
- Thursday: 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. with a 1-hour lunch break.
The eight 6-day modules of the training will be held at Sanctuary in the Pines in Flat Rock, NC.
Lacto-vegetarian unch will be included in the tuition fee to encourage everyone to eat together. More info about food will be available as it is planned.
Cost for all 8 modules of the Foundation Training (this includes Tuition, Facilities Use Fee and 6 organic lacto vegetarian lunches).
Eating lunch together: We have included lunch as part of the training fee because we feel it is an important part of the experience to stay in the surround, share in the meal and have time to exercise or relax. You will have 1.5 hour break for lunch so this allows ample time for an unhurried meal together.
Payment plans: The first figure is the non-refundable deposit, due 2 weeks after notification of acceptance by email. There is an approximately 4% break for paying by check, cash, money order or travelers' checks rather than by credit card. We accept Visa, Mastercard and Discover only, not American Express. Payments are considered on time if they originate by 5 days before the due date OR are received by the due date. Originate means give credit card, initiate wires, paypal, mail checks, Traveler's checks, Money orders
- Payment Schedule: Deposit of $2075 (credit card, paypal) / $1995 (check, cash, travelers checks) due 2 weeks after email acceptance sent or June 24th, whichever is later + $1275 / $1225 module due 6 weeks before each module. Late fees apply.
|mailing/wiring/give cc by/send paypal by||Date Due||Price Credit Card/Paypal||Price cash/check/TC/MO|
|9 days from email
acceptance notification or June 22
|2 weeks from email
acceptance notification or June 29
Late fees of $5/day up to 5% apply to all late payments. Payments are considered late if they are not received by the due date or postmarked (or sent by paypal or wire) by 5 days before (US) or 1 week before (outside US).
Womb Surround Process Workshops
The cost for these is not included in the tuition for the 8 modules of the Foundation Training. Priority in Womb Surround (Process) Workshops scheduled just before Modules 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8 will be given to those flying from areas where Ray does not offer Womb Surround (Process) Workshops.
There are 3 choices on the Highland Lake Properties, all within walking distance: (1) stay on site at Retreat House adjacent to the seminar location (2) a hotel, Highland Lake Inn and (3) 14 cottages with kitchens and living rooms. The Retreat House you book through Sandra. The cottages and hotel you make your own arrangements. There are also numerous motels/hotels in the area as well as people who rent their home and advertize on airbnb.net or craigslist. Below is information on booking for any of the 3 options listed above.
Retreat House adjacent to Sanctuary in the Pines
Booking through Sandra Castellino. Please direct any questions to Sandra rather than contacting the site
There are 17 single rooms in a wing of the building where the seminar is located. The bathrooms are down the hall. The cost is $50/night by check, $52 by credit card or paypal. There is no additional tax. These are available on a first come, first served basis by contacting Sandra. You can reserve a room once you have been accepted. To do so, contact Sandra by email and immediately send a non-refundable $50/$52 deposit. The balance is due with the tuition 6 weeks before the beginning of each training module. Priority will go to people planning to spend 5 or 6 nights. You can book one or all modules. Each requires a $50/$52 non-refundable deposit. Participants residing in this building.will likely have access to the kitchen for breakfast and dinner preparation.
Sandra Castellino at 805 687-2897
checks/MO, TC mailed to: Sandra Castellino, 1105 N Ontare Road, Santa Barbara, CA 93105
Highland Lake Cottages
Make your own arrangements by calling or emailing- do NOT book online
Sanctuary in the Pines is on a property known as Highland lake Properties that contains 14 cottages (2-3 bedrooms) with kitchens and living rooms.
Ask for the Castellino Training discount which is 10 or 20% depending on the season. To that add add 13% tax. Prices vary depending on the season.
Office: 21 Halftimber Lane, FlatRock, NC 28731
Phone: Steve Collins at 828 692-1359
www.highlandlake.net Click on Vacation Rentals to view the various cottages.
Highland Lake Inn [cabins, lodge, b&b, cottages] The restaurant there is open to non-guests
Make your own arrangements by calling & asking for the 10% discount for 'Sandra Castellino'. Do NOT book online
Add 13% tax to price
86 Lilly Pad Lane, FlatRock, NC 28731
Phone: 800 635-5101
Deposit for 5 or more nights is 1/2 of the amount, refundable with notice up to 8 days prior, non-refundable 7 or less days prior.
Three levels available: cabins (10 duplexes, 20 rooms), the lodge (15-20 rooms), the Woodward House, a B&B - all include 'a full Southern breakfast'
They also rent 5 cottages similar to those available through Steve but with all the amenities of the Inn (including boat use for the lake) except breakfast.
Map of Highland Lake Properties showing Sanctuary in the Pines, Retreat House, cottages and Highland Lake Inn http://highlandlake.net/pdf/guest-map.pdf
Asheville, NC (AVL) is the closest airport (20 miles, 28 min); Charlotte, NC is the closest large airport (1.75 hours). Rental cars are available at both airports The website for a nearby hotel lists various shuttle options from Asheville Airport to Highland Lake Properties (where all the accommodations listed above are) http://http://www.hlinn.com/transportation.html When googling it, Flat Rock is south of Hendersonville, which is SE of Asheville.
Directions to the site of the Training: Sanctuary in the Pines
Lacto-vegetarian lunch will be part of tuition. Breakfast, dinner and snacks will be the participants' responsibility. When the need is clear after receiving applications and requests, we may be able to order dinners and / or breakfasts if enough people want that option. Henderson Co-op is a 5 minute drive from the site. This consists of a health food store, deli open 7 days a week before and after the training (but late on Sunday morning) http://www.www.hendersonville.coop
The only other required expense is for a doll and cloth pelvis used for visualizing the birth process. These will be available to buy at the beginning of module 3 for about $200 (2010 price). Credit cards will be accepted for 4% additional.
Books, booklets, papers and videos by Dr. Castellino and others are available for sale during the modules. A recommended reading list will be available on the website.
We will begin interviewing participants as completed applications are received. You will be notified of whether you are accepted shortly after the interview.
- Interviews will be held on April 25, May 9, May 16 and possibly the next week. Call Now to schedule yours
- We hope to receive all applications from those who have already taken a womb surround by early to mid-May.
- Applications will be accepted until the training is full.
- An interview with Mary and Ray will be required for most applicants after receipt of application.
- A place in the training is confirmed with receipt of the deposit and a signed contract by the due date(s).
- Contracts will be available online soon to facilitate timely completion.
- Those who are taking their first womb surround process workshop in June, July or September , can apply and have an interview in May and a space may be held for you until you take the womb surround and it is determined if you are invited to attend the Foundation Training.
- For those accepted by mid-June, deposit is due to be postmarked by June 22 or received by June 29, along with a signed contractThese are non-refundable deposits. Late fees apply.
- For anyone accepted after mid-June, the deposit and signed contract will be due within 2 weeks (or postmarked within 1 week)
- If anyone is accepted less than 2 weeks before the training, the signed contract, the deposit and the first payment are due before the training starts.
- Payment schedule is outlined above.
"Ray's training has brought a deep level of compassion and sensitivity into my life and my work. Ray's ability to teach from a learner's perspective makes the work easy to absorb. A kinesthetic 'knowing' seems to grow spontaneously. His work with babies and families is truly awesome. In accessing the brilliant clear consciousness of the prenate, the birth work gives a powerful resource for resolving early trauma."
-Anna Chitty, R.P.P., RCST®
"My experience of training with Ray Castellino has been both personally transforming and professionally rewarding. Through his remarkable skills as a therapist I have been able to reconnect with my earliest emotional imprints in a way that has been deeply healing and now guides my work with clients. Ray's teaching skill is to blend complex cross-disciplinary information with personal process and integration in a way that is exciting, comprehensive, systematic, hands-on, effective and downright fun. He models for me how to be self-honest, knowledgeable and deeply contactful yet respectful of boundaries. Being with Ray as he works with babies and their families has shown me what remarkable potential there is for understanding what babies have to tell me and how I can support their process of liberating the energies bound up in prenatal and birth trauma."
-Claire Leverant, Childbirth Educator
"The Castellino Prenatal and Birth training is a rare opportunity to be in the vanguard of the exploration of a mysterious and largely uncelebrated frontier of human understanding. There is an exciting sense that one is participating in the birth of a new body of knowledge and practice, one with far reaching consequences for the way we live. For me it has been important that the excitement is not only intellectual: the knowledge and practice are integrated, and the trainee must draw on her or his whole life experience for understanding a survey which offers fresh vistas and unexpected connections. This means the training itself is transformational, yet brimming with multidisciplinary information brought together in a newly coherent form. Ray is both a visionary and an extraordinary teacher who is passionately committed to a single process that encompasses research, healing, and the training of professionals. His attunement and the format he has created ensure that the emphasis is on the process of assimilation rather than content; in practice, I've found that means the knowledge is not something I must remember, but rather a part of my experience that becomes available as needed."
-Jim Thomas, M.A.
"Ray Castellino is at the forefront of a healing movement that is taking us into the next century. In his work with infants and children, Ray extends a sensitivity and grace in healing early trauma that is revolutionary, compassionate and effective. It is a privilege and a gift to study with this man."
-Peter Levine, Ph.D., Author of Waking the Tiger, Developer of Somatic Experiencing
"I have been associated with Dr. Castellino for many years. His warmth and integrity have always touched me deeply. He has become one of the world's leading lights in the field of Prenatal and Birth Psychology. His work in his area of special interest, the healing of prenatal and birth trauma in infants, is elegant and insightful. His training in this is easily the most in-depth and sensitive available. His teaching is done with humor, clarity and the highest standards. I highly recommend his training to anyone interested in healing the foundations of our defended and damaged selves at the very beginning of our journey in this world."
-Franklyn Sills, Craniosacral teacher, author of The Polarity Process, Director of the Karuna Institute